Your wedding day should be one of the most memorable and special occasions in your entire life. However, if you fail to plan ahead, you may end up remembering it for all the wrong reasons. If you want to make absolutely sure that your wedding day is one of the very best days of your life, we recommend planning every last detail as far in advance as possible. And, if you’re planning a hotel wedding, one of the most important things you will need to consider is the menu. But do you have any idea how to choose the perfect wedding menu for a hotel wedding? If you do, that’s great. But if not, please don’t panic. Our wedding team has put together the perfect guide for you.
Choosing the perfect menu for your hotel wedding
As a popular wedding venue in Bangkok and a luxury 4-star hotel, the Novotel Sukhumvit 20 is the perfect location for your forthcoming nuptials. We have a highly-experienced wedding organiser team and also have some of the very best caterers in the country working in our kitchens. Earlier this week, we sat down with our wedding catering team to ask them what advice they would give to guests who are trying to put together the perfect menu and this is what they had to say:
- Consider your guests’ dietary restrictions – Before you start planning your menu in earnest, we recommend that you consider any dietary restrictions your guests may have, especially those who will be at the top table. This should include vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free and any other type of special dietary requirements. You can easily find out whether any of your guests have dietary restrictions that you need to take into account by asking them when you send out your invitations. It may not be possible to cater to everybody’s personal preferences but you can at least avoid any major upsets by making adequate provisions for those who simply cannot eat certain types of food.
- Consider the time of day – It may still be called a wedding breakfast but the main meal at a wedding reception can take place at any time these days, most often in the afternoon or early evening. With this in mind, we think it is a factor you need to consider when planning your menu: the time of day your wedding takes place could influence your menu choices to a considerable degree. For instance: if your wedding is taking place during the afternoon, you may want to serve lighter and more refreshing foods such as salads, finger sandwiches or fruit. On the other hand, if you are planning an evening wedding, you may want to think about serving more substantial dishes like steak, chicken or fish.
- Think about the time of year – Many people forget about seasonal influences when they are thinking about how to choose the perfect wedding menu for a hotel wedding but, in our opinion, this is a big mistake as the changing seasons can play a major part in determining your menu choices. When the weather is very hot, we suggest favouring lighter, more summery dishes. At other times of the year, we would recommend considering which foods are in season as this may influence the overall cost and the quality of the dishes your guests enjoy on your wedding day. If you are having your wedding here in Bangkok, you won’t, of course, have to worry about cold weather but if you’re getting married elsewhere and it’s likely to be a little chilly outside, perhaps consider serving heartier dishes such as stews and roasted meats for your wedding breakfast.
- Keep it local – If you are planning to hold your wedding reception here in central Bangkok, you may wish to consider incorporating plenty of local ingredients into the dishes that feature on your menu. Not only is this a great way to showcase the region’s culinary traditions, it will also help to make your wedding a more sustainable and environmentally friendly event. Furthermore, it is likely to lower the overall cost of your reception, which can only be a good thing.
- Offer a reasonable variety of dishes – While it would be impractical to give your guests a dozen different options for each course, we do suggest ensuring there is adequate choice so that you can cater to a broad range of different tastes and preferences on the day. You may, for example, wish to consider providing your guests with a choice of dishes that represents a nice range of flavours and textures and, if you want to give them even more choice, a buffet could be a better option than a formal sit-down meal. This is something you will need to decide for yourself though: while our team will be only too happy to tell you all you need to know on the topic of how to pick your wedding menu, they do not have any personal knowledge of your friends and family or their food preferences.
- Think about presentation – Presentation can make a huge difference to how people perceive the food they are eating and, crucially, how much they enjoy it. It is, for this reason, we recommend you consider the type of plates and cutlery you will be using to serve each dish, as well as the way the food is arranged on the plates. A beautifully presented dish can make even the simplest of meals look delicious and mouth-watering.
Choosing the perfect menu for your hotel wedding may seem like a daunting task at first, but by considering all of the above factors, you should easily be able to create a memorable and enjoyable dining experience for everyone.
If you would like to talk to a member of our wedding catering team about the type of menu you want to have for a reception here, please do not hesitate to call or email us. It will be our pleasure to help you organise the perfect menu for the perfect day.